Brisbane Valley Cat Rescue

Click here to edit subtitle


Post Reply
Forum Home > Day to day running a Shelter > Thursday 24 March 2011

Site Owner
Posts: 502

Well one of these days I'm going to open this forum by saying that everythings been restful here, and there's every chance that anyone who's followed the day to day activities here will rush me off to a luny bin.  But no danger of that at the moment.

Elaine from Greys4Pets and myself made the trip down the coast to collect more flood distribution food yesterday and it was a trip that neither of us is likely to forget any time soon.  We had a patrol lined up to tow the trailer but when we rolled up the Patrol had 2 flat tyres.  Wanting to get down the coast as early as possible to do all the loading before it got too hot we threw a small fit and headed back to see what else we could borrow that would do the trick.  We tried a couple of different people but no-one had a vehcile that would suffice and was in working order.  Elaines car was booked in to have work done on it so it couldn't pull the trailer anyway.  Finally we located a 2 tonne truck that we could borrow.  It sounded ideal and we were told that we could borrow it whenever we liked.   Finally something was going our way and we were delighted.  Elaine phoned the mechanic to tell him that her car was still coming albeit a bit late.  Thankfully he was fine about it.  We returned to Elaines place, unhitched the trailer and headed for the trucks location.  Little did we realise what was instore for us for the rest of the day. 

The truck's owner said that it had a new gearbox and motor and may take a 'bit' of getting used to.  Believe me a bit had absolutely nothing to do with it.  Now Elaine and I have taken some pretty interesting vehicles to collect the bulk food supply in the past but this truck just had to take the prize. There was no possible way to master the gear changes because it reacted differently almost every time.  We did a victory salute whenever it managed to make it into 5th gear.   We didn't do it often mind you.  It'd stick in neutral and you couldn't move the confounded stick no matter how much you tried and it's a wonder we weren't both wiped out along the way.  We put $100 worth of diesel into the darn thing and it was still only 1/4 full when we got back.  It's got to have been the most expensive trip we've ever done.  Of course getting the diesel into the darn thing involved the unsuccessful assistance of about 10 different truckies because of the placement of the fuel tank.  We ended up having to purchase a long funnel and finally managed to get some fuel in.  Mind you we ended up paying for teeny amounts from a number of different locations because we'd try and the pump nossel just wouldn't reach and we'd end up with small amounts of diesel being spilt. 

Mind you before we even got going I managed to twist my ankle outside the mechanics and by the time I'd hauled myself in and out of the truck a few times my ankle had swollen up like the goodyear blimp and was still swelling.  It's now an interesting shade of blue, black, green and yellow and is extending up my leg and down my foot.

Once the truck was loaded one of the tyres decided that it wanted to flatten out on the ground so we then had to find somewhere with a special air thingy to be able to reach the valve, which just like the fuel tank, was spending it's day happily hiding totally out of reach of any normal person.  It took about an hour to find anyone to help and finally we managed to get back on the road for the hair-raising journey back home.  By the time we got back to Elaine's place I was so pooped that I just headed straight home to soak my foot that was now half way up my leg by the looks of it and Elaine went inside for a much needed cup of coffee.  Well that's what she said she was going to drink anyway :)

I bought the trucks owner the carton of beer we had promised him prior to actually finding out what the blinking truck was like and delivered it as promised on the way home.  No I didn't whack him, I was ever so polite but did manage to point out through clenched teeth that we'd just had the trip from hell and would be highly unlikely to be borrowing the death trap again.  We have yet to unload and that will be done tomorrow and then we have to return the truck.  Oh dear!!!!!!  I wonder if we opened the gate if it'd go home on it's own????

Our problem is that we keep having to borrow vehicles, traybacks, small trucks etc to do the pickups and the distributions.  And unfortunately so long as farmers can drive their vehicles, no matter how tempermental, they see not reason to bother actually getting them fixed.  So long as we have to borrow we'll keep coming up with the same problem.  But this last trip costs us a fortune and we can't afford to have that happen again.

Meanwhile the 3 new little arrivals that came in last Saturday are doing well.  They're only around 6-7 weeks old and unfortunately lost their mother when she was taken to the pound before anyone realised that she had kittens.  She'd gone out looking for food for her little family when she was spotted and caught.  It was only later that afternoon that the kittens ventured out to try and find their mother.  I can only imagine the courage it must have taken for them to leave cover in a desperate effort to find Mum. I'm just so very sorry that their mother will  never know that her little family is now safe and well.  I can only hope that whereever she is it's the same for her.

A big thanks has to go to Kim, Kate and Tony who've taken turns looking after the shelter this week with me either being away on pickups, vet trips or collections of pet food.  Tony came today when he learned that I'd done my ankle in and the wonderful thing was that Olly, not the one on the adoptions page, but another all ginger tabby male, who suffered severe abuse before arriving, was happy to let Tony stroke him.  Olly has been terrified of men since his arrival and only a few people have been able to gain his trust so far.

Marble, Clancey, Candyman and Shiloh will be available for adoption from Saturday having ben desexed and microchipped on Tuesday.  More kittens and cats will be desexed next week and a number have to have microchips as well.  It's likely to be a very expensive few weeks coming up and I certainly hope that adoptions pick up to help cover it.

I have a litter of very sickly kittens here at the present time and they just seem to get over one crisis when another one developes.  I'm hoping that persistance will pay off in the end.  None of the conditions that they come up with seem to be related to one another and they're lucky if they get a few days break between problems.  None of the conditions seem to be life threatening but they just have no resistance to anything.  But I'll keep fighting and hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel isn't attached to a speeding train LOL.

All the other cats and kittens are doing just fine and as cheeky as ever.

I have plenty of people at the moment happy to foster kittens, however, I'd like to find some who are prepared to foster cats from 6 mths onwards and abuse cases that need that extra TLC.  If you'd be interested please contact me.  The only proviso is that you need to have a cat friendly secure home and lots of love to give.

I hope you all have a good night.

March 24, 2011 at 9:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Site Owner
Posts: 502

Forgive the typos, Smudge was helping me :)

March 24, 2011 at 9:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jeuleine furlong
Posts: 99

Have a safe trip back and hope that the ankle is getting better. Walking around on it will not help of course.

March 25, 2011 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.