Brisbane Valley Cat Rescue

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Day to day running a Shelter > Saturday 26 June 2010

Louise
Site Owner

It's almost 6pm and I've only just completed the first set of rounds for the day. So much for the second rounds that always need to be done. Thank the Lord for the foster carers because without them the shelter would be even more overloaded than it is, and many of the cats and kittens currently on foster would not have made it, because there would have been no room.

As it is the shelter has reached stress point and small spats are continuously breaking out in a couple of the catteries. Unfortunately I have no-where to move the offenders, so I'll just have to deal with each spat one at a time.

Dear Scooter the 11 year old torti who spent about 12 mths being fed on top of the car because she refused to associate with "those interlopers in the shelter" has finally totally relaxed and even shows up these days when visitors are here. Personally I think the old girl has developed a teeny crush on Robbie. I spotted them rubbing noses earlier this afternoon. You'd have to really know Scooter to know just how totally out of character that is!!!!

Mia's kittens are doing well in their new cattery and Millie's are slowly recovering from their ring worm infection. They're growing well but will definitely not float in water. I found that out the other day when I accidentally dropped one of the wriggling little tots into a bucket of F10 solution and had to search around to pull it out again. It came up spluttering but otherwise unharmed. Oh dear, first time that's ever happened.  I've moved them out into an open area now where they can get plenty of sunshine and watch all the activity around the shelter. They've been in the maternity ward until now and that tends to be a tad isolated. I was actually afraid that they may get sunburned because of the large bare areas on their little noggins. The ginger male is almost fully recovered with hair but the two little black kittens are being more difficult.  Will use the Natural cure for mange recipe on the vet care and notes page tomorrow and that should be the final treatment needed because the only reason why the hair isn't growing back at this stage in some places on the blacks is because the skin has hardened a bit too much. Mind you I'll have to make sure that I don't drop another kitten into the bucket or they'll get a complex.

Big thank you's to Kim for more litter and Graham for much needed tyres today.

I got a call from a landlord who went around to check why his tenants hadn't paid their rent in 3 weeks. He said there were some orphaned kittens to collect that he didn't want to see put down. He said he'd explain when I got there. When I arrived the place was in a terrible state and he led me into a room where a mother cat lay dead in a corner with her kittens huddled around her. The kittens were naturally very afraid and he hadn't been able to get near them. Together we bundled them into the cat carrier and I want to thank Kim very much for taking these little ones into foster. The gentleman commented with a shrug that he had to try and find somewhere safe for the kittens because their mother had died trying desperately to save them and he couldn't do anything less. So folks, there are some landlords out there who do care. I just hope that this experience hasn't turned him off renting out the property to pet owners. But 99% of pet owners are wonderful, loving and responsible people who dearly love their pets and cause absolutely no problems. Lets face it, people who'll wreck a rental property, break windows and walls etc and disappear in the middle of the night would do it whether they owned pets or not.

On a happier note, Anne has had a number of inquiries about Chelsea's kittens and hopefully there are some people heading out her way in the next few days. 

I splurged and got myself some cans of spaghetti when I did the supply shop earlier in the week, there are only so many apricot jam sandwiches you can eat. I cooked up a can for dinner last night and then got a phone call. I put the saucepan down and after about 15 minutes returned to find young Casper can actually suck up pieces of spaghetti with the best of them. It's hard not to chuckle no matter how annoyed you may be, when a little black furry head with innocent little eyes turns your way with about 2 inches of spaghetti dangling from it's mouth gradually disappearing until you get that final little slurp. He also had a little dollop of tomato sauce on his nose at the time. I'm still amazed that he managed to suck the darn stuff, eat it yes, but suck it up!!!!

I've got one bag of supercoat kitten left ,so I'm hoping that it combined with the supply in each of the catteries, will do me through to next Tuesday when I have the kittens booked in for desexing. I've made a couple of unscheduled trips this week and I want to get back to only once per week next week. 

I've just remembered that I have to take the meat out of the freezer for the kittens tomorrow. If I don't there will be chaos.

Have a good night everyone :)

June 26, 2010 at 4:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jeuleine furlong

I haven't checked ours Louise to see it they are water-proofed. I have a feeling Katie would sink like a stone. Tabatha would be able to walk on water she is so active.

June 27, 2010 at 7:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jeuleine furlong

Shall have to bring you a can of spagetti when we visit on Sat. Hope the little kittens are going ok after their ordeal. They were lucky they were found in time.

June 28, 2010 at 4:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Louise
Site Owner

The kittens are doing fine Jeuleine. Kim's little daughter is making sure that they get lots of hugs and cuddles. :)

June 28, 2010 at 4:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.