Brisbane Valley Cat Rescue

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Day to day running a Shelter > Tuesday 22 June 2010

Louise
Site Owner

Another hectic day at the shelter but it's worth it to see cats like Max and Princess head off to a new home. They are both such cheeky wonderful personalities and spent so long at the shelter before getting a second chance at a happy secure life. Having spent his entire life in a caravan Max will probably be a bit in awe of the size of a large house but he and Princess will have fun exploring.

Well there is now $600 in the kitty and I do another supply run today. That means 7 bags of Purina Supercoat at approx $35 per bag which totals $245. Sounds good until you realise that the shelter insurance is now overdue at $668 (I'm searching for a better price) and phone bill $82.10 and the litter skip needs replacing as well at $120 then there's the meat for this week, which including the money I wasn't here to pay when it was delivered last week will amount to a total of $242. So without the insurance I'm still $89.10 short. On doing a quick check of the shelter bank account I find that one of the carers has recently deposited $100 for an adoption so now I'm $10.90 ahead, still without insurance of course. And still nothing to get the additional kittens that are ready for desexing done. But at least I'm getting closer. Fortunately I have enough vaccines and wormers on hand for the current youngsters. Please don't think that I'm complaining because I'm not. I wouldn't trade what I do for the world. But this is simply the daily reality faced by many rescue organisations and everyone needs to be aware of the running costs involved and that most of the shelters really don't make profits unless they're large corporations and once you get to that stage much of your funding goes to wages, directors fees, workcover, superannuation etc instead of the animals. Basically small shelters survive from day to day with a great deal of help from above.

Nala has to go to the vets today after developing a lump where her stitch was from her op. Hopefully it's just fluid. Gillian has forwarded photos of little Winnie in her new home and she's settled in well which is good news.

I've moved Smokey into the cattery with Keena and Sheba. Once Max went off to his new home I thought I'd keep up the tradition of having a male in this cattery with the girls. Smokey seemed like the obvious choice because he had a crack at little Luna when he went to stay with a new family the other day. Fortunately there's been no problem with him and the girls and the teenage girls in the next cattery are drooling to the extent that young Maree was lying on top of the bench looking at him upside down with her little tongue hanging out (bear in mind she's been desexed and so has he) for intently that she slipped off the bench and landed in an undignified little woolly heap on the concrete. LOL

Kim come over today and we moved Mia and her kittens into the cattery that had been used by Smokey. The kittens will get more sunshine over there and we also moved in some of the furnishings that were brought out by Deb and Jeff over the weekend for them to climb about on. They all have lots of little hidey holes where they can cuddle up as well. There was also an old round table which is very handy for putting the litter trays on each day for scrubbing out. With so many of the darn things to do each day it's nice not to have to bend down to scrub each one. My back really appreciates it. Thanks guys.

Really funny day. I put Mia and kittens out into the sunny cage for them to get some sun in the morning, the little ones like to get on their backs with their little paws over their eyes and just sun themselves. They look so darned cute. It then got very hot in there so Kim put a blanket over to shield them from the sun for a while and the next thing we knew there was a big gale, clouds rolled in and is got cold. Oh well, at least now with them in the new cattery they don't need to be moved of a day. 

Millies kittens are still giving trouble in that they are not responding to the F10 like they should and currently look like something from another planet. Oh well we'll get there. At least now they have lots of energy and are eating well and gaining weight.

I hope someone adopts Kerrie soon because she has an extremely loving disposition and is the supreme cuddle cat but she's getting way, way, way too attached to me. She will however, have to go into a home with no other pets. Little Miss Attitude doesn't like to share her human but she's also so very loving that for a pet household you really don't need anyone else anyway.

June 22, 2010 at 5:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jeuleine furlong

That is such good news about Princess and Max. Did they go to the same home Louise?

June 23, 2010 at 2:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Leanne

Its lovely to think that 2 cats go together Jeuleine.  A familiar face for one another in their new homes. 

June 23, 2010 at 2:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Louise
Site Owner

Well yes they did go together but unfortunately Princess (the little boomerang) is returning tomorrow. Apparently she hit the ground running at her new home and decided that there wasn't room for both her and Max in the same house. She spent last night curled up on her new Mums lap watching the football and chases Max off when he comes near. When he can get a pat or two in Max turns into a purring machine and loves the attention, so the new owners had to make a choice and have decided to return Princess as she is the bossy one. Unfortunately it sounds like they both found the ideal home - just not together.

The tricky bit from my point of view is that these two cats have been together for months with no problem but when cats change homes then you immediately get a whole new set of ground rules laid down to suit the new situation. Princess was obviously faster at deciding on the new rules than Max. 

Princess will now have to be placed for adoption as an only pet. Which is a shame because she gets on well with everyone here. But obviously she must want a home where she gets all the attention.

June 23, 2010 at 3:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jeuleine furlong

That must have been hard making a choice between the two of them. They are both beautiful cats.Lets hope her next home is for keeps!

June 23, 2010 at 3:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.