Brisbane Valley Cat Rescue

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Day to day running a Shelter > Saturday 8 May 2010

Louise
Site Owner

RIP my beautiful young Benny.  As I write this my eyes are filled with tears for a wonderful, loving young cat that no-one would give a chance.  He was born feral, trapped at around 5 weeks of age, dumped at the shelter all alone and afraid.  Where was his mother and his brothers and sisters. All alone he hid in the back of the cat trap, eyes wide with fear and heart heavy with sadness.

It only took a couple of days for young Benny to realise that I meant him no harm and he began to enjoy our time together. He was so loving, so gentle and with his gleaming black coat and wide orange eyes he was magnificent. But he watched as people came and went always selecting another cat over him because he had an all black coat. I always told him that his coat was glorious and it was, but even though he purred and rubbed the visitors legs no-one even gave him a second look. 

Benny died tonight at only 13 mths of age never having known any home but the shelter. He died from a spider bite and although all the other cats were there to comfort him I can't help but feel that I failed him by not finding him a family of his own. I was the only human on the planet who ever took any time to stroke his beautiful soft black coat and tell him that I loved him. I'm hoping that was enough.

RIP my beautiful, beautiful boy.

May 8, 2010 at 9:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gail

Louise at May 8, 2010 at 9:04 AM

RIP my beautiful young Benny.  As I write this my eyes are filled with tears for a wonderful, loving young cat that no-one would give a chance.  He was born feral, trapped at around 5 weeks of age, dumped at the shelter all alone and afraid.  Where was his mother and his brothers and sisters. All alone he hid in the back of the cat trap, eyes wide with fear and heart heavy with sadness.

It only took a couple of days for young Benny to realise that I meant him no harm and he began to enjoy our time together. He was so loving, so gentle and with his gleaming black coat and wide orange eyes he was magnificent. But he watched as people came and went always selecting another cat over him because he had an all black coat. I always told him that his coat was glorious and it was, but even though he purred and rubbed the visitors legs no-one even gave him a second look. 

Benny died tonight at only 13 mths of age never having known any home but the shelter. He died from a spider bite and although all the other cats were there to comfort him I can't help but feel that I failed him by not finding him a family of his own. I was the only human on the planet who ever took any time to stroke his beautiful soft black coat and tell him that I loved him. I'm hoping that was enough.

RIP my beautiful, beautiful boy.

Oh Lou, I'm so terribly sorry to hear that.  He was a gorgeous boy even though I only saw one photo of him, he looked like a little charmer.

You didn't fail him at all, he had a safe and happy home for his short time on this earth. Imagine the alternative if you had not been there to rescue him - out in the bush, he would've been cold, scared, hungry.   You gave him love and care and a warm safe place to live. 

Be thinking of you tonight.  Gail xx

May 9, 2010 at 5:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.