Brisbane Valley Cat Rescue

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Day to day running a Shelter > Thursday 6 May 2010

Louise
Site Owner

Well today has been a bit of a mixed bag.  I took Felix in to be neutered this morning and collected him this afternoon.  Unfortunately despite the fact that he's a lovely easy going cat, he piddled in the cat carrier on the way in and despite a trip to the supermarket to pick up chux, disinfectant and wipes we both reeked by the time I arrived at the surgery.  The poor boy has been shuffled from pillar to post over the past few days, from his home of 11 months, to Alex, to Leanne and then to the shelter.  It's been a lot for him to have to cope with and I think he was afraid it was all going to happen again when I loaded him into the cat carrier.  The trip home was slightly better and there was actually a look of relief on his face when I opened the carrier and he was greeted by the teenager kittens that he'd resided with since his arrival. The fact that this trip ended up with him back where he started was something that he hadn't expected and he's much more relaxed tonight knowing that at least for the time being he's "home".

There was a scratching post advertised for sale for $50 in the local trading book so I phoned the lady and I'll be collecting it tomorrow.  Provided I have enough money for both it and petrol to get there that is.  I was beginning to wonder if it was a reasonable economic thing to do when the phone rang and she said she'd been doing a clean out and did I want litter trays, cat toys, cages etc.  Well yes I sure did.  So now whether the trip itself is economically viable or not I'll have to go because I just can't afford to turn away that kind of an offer.

I also have to check with the vet tomorrow who did all the desexing and neutering on the cats on Tuesday because 1. I haven't got the paperwork on Sheba and 2. I was playing with Shelby today and there doesn't appear to be any shaved area, stitches or marks where the op was performed. Maybe I'm just not seeing it but I feel the need to ask anyway.  I'm just hoping that I don't have to do another trip into Ipswich and back.

Then I got a phone call from a guy telling me that his cat has had kittens again (after he'd said the last time that she was being desexed) and that he was offering them to me first before the second option kicked in.  I'd missed the call and got the voice message.  This is the guy who gave me 45 minutes the last time to get into Ipswich or he'd dump the kittens.  I've left phoning him back until tomorrow because quite frankly right now I'd tear strips off him and the only ones who'd then suffer would be the poor kittens.  He lives in the middle of town and surely could at least attempt to find loving homes for these innocent little tykes who rely on him for love, security and their well being.  Is it just me or are humans becoming more selfish and irresponsible by the minute?  I have no idea how I'm going to afford to desex, worm, vaccinate and microchip any additional kittens over and above what I have here at the moment.  Human irresponsibility brought these defenseless kittens into the world and at least someone has to take responsibility for them rather than just taking the "easy" option of dumping or killing them.  Sorry to rabbit on but that's the situation faced by me and every other rescuer out there.  At the moment we face these calls every single day and that's just the reality of our lives.  We all do our best but unlike people with steady jobs and weekly incomes we often have none.  But still we have to pay all the expenses and take responsibility of other peoples unwanted pets.  Surely desexing has to become mandatory. Forget all the other legislation that just ties pet ownership up in knots. The big one, the main one has got to be desexing.  And there needs to be courses in schools devoted to animal welfare and care. Not just classroom sessions but school groups taken to shelters to see the faces behind the statistics.

I decided to actually eat dinner tonight. You know the real thing with vegs and meat. Wow. Not sure my system was ready for it but the cats sure were. Lexie was patrolling the kitchen, Robbie was busy rubbing around my legs, little Casper was sitting patiently on my chair and Tarsha was watching from the kitchen hutch.  Only little Casper caused a bit of a stir when he decided to try and eat a piece of string that had been attached to the meat when it was cooked. I saw him munching on it so I grabbed the end and told him he was a naughty boy. What I wasn't prepared for was just how much of the piece of string he'd actually managed to get down his little throat. Honestly it just kept coming and I kept gently pulling and Casper sat there just looking at me like I was crazy while all this string just kept being pulled out of him.  Once the last of it was removed he toddled off looking for some more goodies. Well at least you can't say he doesn't trust me!!!

May 6, 2010 at 5:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gail

Louise at May 6, 2010 at 5:42 AM

Well today has been a bit of a mixed bag.  I took Felix in to be neutered this morning and collected him this afternoon.  Unfortunately despite the fact that he's a lovely easy going cat, he piddled in the cat carrier on the way in and despite a trip to the supermarket to pick up chux, disinfectant and wipes we both reeked by the time I arrived at the surgery.  The poor boy has been shuffled from pillar to post over the past few days, from his home of 11 months, to Alex, to Leanne and then to the shelter.  It's been a lot for him to have to cope with and I think he was afraid it was all going to happen again when I loaded him into the cat carrier.  The trip home was slightly better and there was actually a look of relief on his face when I opened the carrier and he was greeted by the teenager kittens that he'd resided with since his arrival. The fact that this trip ended up with him back where he started was something that he hadn't expected and he's much more relaxed tonight knowing that at least for the time being he's "home".

There was a scratching post advertised for sale for $50 in the local trading book so I phoned the lady and I'll be collecting it tomorrow.  Provided I have enough money for both it and petrol to get there that is.  I was beginning to wonder if it was a reasonable economic thing to do when the phone rang and she said she'd been doing a clean out and did I want litter trays, cat toys, cages etc.  Well yes I sure did.  So now whether the trip itself is economically viable or not I'll have to go because I just can't afford to turn away that kind of an offer.

I also have to check with the vet tomorrow who did all the desexing and neutering on the cats on Tuesday because 1. I haven't got the paperwork on Sheba and 2. I was playing with Shelby today and there doesn't appear to be any shaved area, stitches or marks where the op was performed. Maybe I'm just not seeing it but I feel the need to ask anyway.  I'm just hoping that I don't have to do another trip into Ipswich and back.

Then I got a phone call from a guy telling me that his cat has had kittens again (after he'd said the last time that she was being desexed) and that he was offering them to me first before the second option kicked in.  I'd missed the call and got the voice message.  This is the guy who gave me 45 minutes the last time to get into Ipswich or he'd dump the kittens.  I've left phoning him back until tomorrow because quite frankly right now I'd tear strips off him and the only ones who'd then suffer would be the poor kittens.  He lives in the middle of town and surely could at least attempt to find loving homes for these innocent little tykes who rely on him for love, security and their well being.  Is it just me or are humans becoming more selfish and irresponsible by the minute?  I have no idea how I'm going to afford to desex, worm, vaccinate and microchip any additional kittens over and above what I have here at the moment.  Human irresponsibility brought these defenseless kittens into the world and at least someone has to take responsibility for them rather than just taking the "easy" option of dumping or killing them.  Sorry to rabbit on but that's the situation faced by me and every other rescuer out there.  At the moment we face these calls every single day and that's just the reality of our lives.  We all do our best but unlike people with steady jobs and weekly incomes we often have none.  But still we have to pay all the expenses and take responsibility of other peoples unwanted pets.  Surely desexing has to become mandatory. Forget all the other legislation that just ties pet ownership up in knots. The big one, the main one has got to be desexing.  And there needs to be courses in schools devoted to animal welfare and care. Not just classroom sessions but school groups taken to shelters to see the faces behind the statistics.

I decided to actually eat dinner tonight. You know the real thing with vegs and meat. Wow. Not sure my system was ready for it but the cats sure were. Lexie was patrolling the kitchen, Robbie was busy rubbing around my legs, little Casper was sitting patiently on my chair and Tarsha was watching from the kitchen hutch.  Only little Casper caused a bit of a stir when he decided to try and eat a piece of string that had been attached to the meat when it was cooked. I saw him munching on it so I grabbed the end and told him he was a naughty boy. What I wasn't prepared for was just how much of the piece of string he'd actually managed to get down his little throat. Honestly it just kept coming and I kept gently pulling and Casper sat there just looking at me like I was crazy while all this string just kept being pulled out of him.  Once the last of it was removed he toddled off looking for some more goodies. Well at least you can't say he doesn't trust me!!!

Oh Lou, I'll shout you the scratchy post, as it will have to suffice until I can get the two poles I have here for you - whenever I can drag my sorry butt out to your place!

Gail

May 7, 2010 at 5:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Louise
Site Owner

Thanks so much Gail.  The donation has come through.  You're a gem.  

May 7, 2010 at 3:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gail

Louise at May 7, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Thanks so much Gail.  The donation has come through.  You're a gem.  

No problem, I hope the lady gives you a big pile of good stuff and it's worth the drive! 

May 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.